Friday 18 March 2011

Combining age-old smithing with technology


I've been using the fine silver clay product for years now which has transformed my business from virtually nothing to being asked by the Editors to take a full page of the NOTHS catalogue which is amazing, even if I can't yet afford it or cope with the volume of orders!?!
As you may have noticed that I don't stay idle with new creations and I am always working on techniques and pushing the boundaries of my work like the Stash bowls and aromatherapy candles. The next stage is combining age-old silver-smithing techniques with the technological advancement of PMC, so that I can make studs, cufflinks etc. There is only so much you can do with PMC which in itself is a fab product, but by combining the two, opens a whole new world of virtually no restrictions other than your imagine.
Here is a new creation, meant for my daughter who had her ears pierced earlier this year. They had to be very light weight, so I used fine silver roughly sculpted into hearts, torched instead of kiln to fire off the clay, and then soldering the back posts on. I have decided not to sand or polish them as I love the organic texture, almost like crumpled foil. I love evolving and creating, it's a part of who I am.

No comments: