Thursday 17 July 2008

Artistic influences

Apart from my deep affinity with glass, I love the versatility, texture and colour of timber and the warmth it brings to a grey winter's day.
If I were to design my own house, which I dream someday to do, it would have a predominately Balinese influence mixing timber and glass, my two favourite building materials. It's almost a statement of opulence verses nature, with the two working together in harmony.
When travelling, apart from shopping and getting in the sun rays, I love architecture and my favourite Architect, without a doubt is Frank Gehry, designer of the infamous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.
But have you seen the Science Museum in Valencia by Santiago Calatrava? Bravo!
Then there is the modern classic designer, Arne Jacobsen, architect and creator of various works of art including furniture. My favourite item that i still lust over and desperately want in my living room is an Egg Chair, preferably in Orange (hint, hint). Pictured

Then there is the iconic Barcelona Chair, created by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for his 1929 German Pavilion at the International Exhibition in Barcelona. Each piece is a tribute to the traditional craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail. Classic, stylish, luxurious.
Phillipe Stark - the famous rocket style juicer
The Mathmos Lava Lamp by Edward Craven Walker - a cult phenomenon
Ron Arad, furniture designer.
Alessi - playful kitchen accessories
Anything Italian
Swiss precision. You've got to admire the quality!

No comments: